This appetizer, Shrimp Avocado Crostini, created by Christina Dimacali, chef and owner of Clean Your Plate, is one to print or bookmark for your next night of entertaining. Earlier this summer, Whitney, Zareen and a few other friends, and I were whisked away to her home for a private cooking party sponsored by P&G. At the event, we learned of several P&G self-care products.
Christina kept our cooking skills and taste likes in mind and created a several-course menu for all of us to cook together. It was SO much fun to cook with friends and guidance from a pro. So so so much fun. Stef and I were in charge of cooking up the appetizer. I’ve made it again a few times this summer. It’s a great app, but it’s also excellent to make the avocado mix for dipping during dinner or lunch or as a spread on pitas or wraps.
(Side note: if you’re ever looking for a great Girls Night Out event and you’re in the Philly area, check out Christina’s site to learn more about her cooking programs.)
Shrimp-Avocado Crostini Appetizer + Meal Plan
- 1 small baguette sliced
- 1/2! pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and skinned
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice, or to taste
- 2! piquillo peppers, drained (these are hard to find. Don’t bother asking the high school junior who’s working at the grocery store… you’ll need to ask a manager. If your store has a cheese shop or an olive bar, ask the person who tends that area first.)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place baguette slices on a baking pan. Bake to toasted–5 to 10 minutes
- 2. In a saucepan, boil 2 quarts of water and a pinch of salt. Once boiling, add shrimp and poach for 2 minutes, or until just pink. Drain shrimp immediately and place them under cool water to stop cooking. Halve shrimp lengthwise and set aside.
- 3. In a food processor, add lime juice, avocado, and peppers. Process until nearly smooth. Season with more lime or salt, as needed.
- 4. Spread mixture on the crostini, top with a shrimp half, and serve on a pretty platter.
(Recipe credit: Christina Dimacali, chef and owner of Clean Your Plate)
This week’s meal plan
It’s never, ever easy to come back from vacation. Earlier this summer, it was a 3-week vacation to Charlotte, NC, and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Today, we return from Belgrade Lakes, Maine. But. The summer is not over. We are not switching into fall just yet. And I promise myself I will continue to relax and help my children to relax.
To start, they’re going to help me make the next several weeks of meal plans. Each week, I’ll include one of their favorites. This was inspired on Sunday night when Middle asked us why we hadn’t had salmon in over 2 weeks. Yes. Salmon. So, you’ll see a simple salmon recipe on the list this week. Prompted by his question, I asked Big and Little what they’d like to eat: Popcorn shrimp and tacos topped the list this week.
- Monday: Salmon with Summer Tomato Salsa
- Tuesday: Salsa Beef Tacos
- Wednesday: Leftovers
- Thursday: Popcorn shrimp with grilled summer vegetables
- Weekend: Grilled Buttermilk Chicken with fresh veggie salad