Just like your family, mine loves Taco Tuesday. But I love to change it up a bit every now and then. Last week, rather than regular tacos, I announced that we’d be having Taco Salad.
Naturally, I was hit with the whining and complaining. Sure, they like salads, but how dare I mess with Taco Tuesday?!
Compromising, I picked up a box of Ortega Fiesta Flats Flat Bottom Taco Shells and created a dinner that everyone liked enough to tell their friends. (Don’t worry. They were permitted to leave the olives on their plates.)
An easy 30-minute option for Taco Tuesday night, the Southwestern Turkey Taco Salad offers the same familiar crunch and flavor in a salad.
- 1 pound ground turkey (you can use beef, bison, etc.)
- 1 packet Ortega Taco Seasoning
- 1 box Ortega Fiesta Flats Flat Bottom Taco Shells
- 2 firm, ripe avocados
- 2 16-oz cans of pinto, black or kidney beans, washed and drained
- 3 ripe tomatoes, partially seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and sauteed (I like to saute onions about once a month and freeze them in small bags until needed)
- Small bunch of fresh coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 crisp lettuce head, shredded
- Southwestern Vinaigrette Dressing
- (optional) shredded taco cheese, salsa, sour cream, more cilantro
- Warm Fiesta Flats in the oven.
- Cook turkey meat with taco seasoning as directed on the seasoning packet
- Core and slice avocados and place in large salad bowl with beans, tomatoes, olives, onion, coriander, lettuce. Mix gently.
- Place Fiesta Flats on plate and "fill" (or overfill) with salad and taco turkey meat. Sprinkle with cheese, top with optional toppings and dressing.
© 2016, Julie Meyers Pron. All rights reserved.