Tonight, the plan was to make Chicken Enchilada Pie from the Betty Crocker website. As it turned out, however, I hadn’t gotten everything I needed from the grocery store last week, probably because I thought I had everything… and I didn’t. Instead, I created a dinner based on the Betty Crocker recipe.
Basically, this turned out to be a raid-the-cabinets casserole. And it was good!
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2-1 cup barley
- Taco seasoning
- tortillas (about 10, 6-8 inch)
- 1 can corn
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups taco or Mexican shredded cheese
- 1 scallion, sliced small
- Salsa, sour cream and guacamole (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- cut chicken into small pieces and cook with oil on skillet
- add beans, barley, 2 cups water, taco seasoning packet. Heat to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes
- meanwhile, grease baking pan and place a layer of tortillas on bottom
- layer half of the chicken mixture, 1/2 can enchilada sauce, 1 cup cheese, tortillas, chicken mixture, corn, tortillas, enchilada sauce, 1 cup cheese, scallions
- bake for 40 minutes
- serve with optional guac, sour cream or salsa
© 2011, Julie Meyers Pron. All rights reserved.